Surprisingly the lower part of the pinkish façade of the building on the extreme left of this trompe-l'oeil has faded much more than the rest and revealed the presence of a ghost sign for Castrol, the brand of automotive lubricants launched by Charles C. Wakefield & Co. in 1900. For more information about Castrol, check the company's timeline.
The presence of this Castrol ghost sign could suggest a garage or petrol station once stood on this site. This seems to be confirmed by the wider-than-usual pavement in front of the curved façade of the mairie: a former petrol station forecourt maybe?
Location: Rue Pierre Dupont, Lille, Nord / Pictures taken in June 2012